Chicken and Vegetable Soup


13 cups chicken stock
1 large potato, cut into ¾ inch cubes
2 carrots sliced into rounds
1 large leek, sliced
3 ½ oz shelled peas
3 ½ oz green beans, trimmed and cut into ¾ inch lengths
Small pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
3 tablespoons chopped parsley

I'm still baffled by the idea of trying to cut something rounded into cubes.
Bring the stock to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce the heat, then add the potato, carrot and leek to the stock and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened. Add the peas and green beans, then simmer for another 15 minutes.

Albertson's, of course, was out of leeks. We substituted green onions and hoped for the best. 

Add the cayenne pepper and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. 

Sometimes you need more than just a pinch.

Stir in the parsley just before serving. 

Served with Coconut-Coated Vegetables, Moscato, and a touch of  high-fallutin'.


My Rating: 2/5 "I hate to say it, because I know it's a healthy meal, but it was just really boring. I'm always iffy on boiled veggies, and I think this soup is the epitome of the reason why."


Comments