Salmon Patties


Santa’s Recipes for a Great Christmas, 5th Edition, p. 32

1 [14.75 oz.] can salmon
1 egg
Saltine crackers (half a sleeve or about 22 single crackers)

Mix all well. Note: You may or may not need all the juice from the can of salmon. Save some back until you have it all mixed up, then if too dry, add some to make the mixture very moist. 

Juice reserved, as directed. 


I dunno if cans of salmon are supposed to include bones, but this particular one was chock-full of these little vertebrae that I had to go through and dig out. Charming. 

The recipe never says to pulverize the crackers. But I have a feeling that the intention is not to fry up entire saltines with salmon on them. 

Plus, I got to pretend that the crackers were PhDschool, and punch them into smithereens. 

I did end up needing the reserved juice. Good call, whoever contributed this recipe. 

Pattie out very thin, no more than ¼ inch thick.

Pan fry in hot oil until crisp, turning once.

And they mean once - I tried to turn one multiple times just to see how it was doing, and it fell apart.

Drain on paper towel.

What on earth did people do before there were paper towels? Starve?

Time for lunch!


My Rating: 3/5 "Pretty ok - cheap ingredients. They would've been better with some kind of sauce or glaze on them, but the recipe didn't specify anything so I didn't know what would be ideal." 


Comments