Roti Canai (Roti Prata)



10 oz/310 g plain flour [about 1 ¾ cup]
A little salt
½ cup ghee
½ cup/120 ml water

Sieve flour and salt into a mixing bowl. 

I'm assuming that means to sift it. If it doesn't, at least my roti was fluffy.


Mix in the ghee and add water gradually. 

I combined 1/4 cup oil with 1/4 cup butter to approximate ghee.


Knead until dough is of a smooth, medium consistency. 

The fun squishy part. :)


Leave aside for 2-3 hours for dough to soften.

Leave it alone! 


Take a portion of the dough and shape it into a ball. Roll out into a thin circle. Sprinkle on 1 teaspoon ghee and fold in the edges to form a square. 

I rubbed it a little. Just to love on it.


Sprinkle on a little flour and roll out slightly.

Heat pan and put the piece of dough to cook till slightly brown on one side. Turn to the other side and brown slightly.

The first one I made came out looking like something from the Black Lagoon. After that I gave up on folding the edges over to make it a square. 


Life up the roti canai and spread 1 teaspoon ghee on the pan. Cook the roti canai for another 2-3 minutes. Life up the roti canai again and spread 1 teaspoon ghee on the pan. Turn over and cook the second side for another 2-3 minutes.

Eventually, they started to come out looking like food. 


Remove and serve hot with curry. 

I served mine with hummus, and it was nummy.

My Rating: 3/5 "It's fried bread, and it's nice fried bread. It has an neat texture (thin, but substantial) that makes it a great accompaniment to something vegetable-y." 

Comments