Sayur Bayam Sedap (Tasty Steamed Spinach)


8 oz/250g bayam/spinach
1 tbsp cooking/salad oil
2 shallots (finely sliced)
¼ cup/60 ml water
1 red chilli (thinly sliced diagonally)
Salt & MSG (optional) to taste
Pounded Ingredients
2 oz/60g dried ikan bilis/anchovies (cleaned, soaked & drained)
3 cloves garlic

Instead of shallots, I just used part of an onion I had laying around. And  a jalapeno. 


Separate leaves from bayam stalks. Discard roots and harder stems.

Cut remaining stalks to 1 in/2.5 cm lengths and pull off outer covering. Wash and drain the vegetable.
Heat oil and add pounded ingredients. 

I wasn't sure how to go about "pounding" the ingredients, so I just threw in some chopped garlic and anchovy fillets. 


Add shallots and fry for 2 minutes. Reduce heat.

The brown anchovy juice starts splattering all over everything when the oil gets sizzling, so be careful.


Mix in water, chilli and seasoning to taste. Simmer covered for 3 minutes. Add bayam stalks and continue simmering covered another 1-2 minutes.

Add bayam leaves and turn off heat. Cover and let cook in the steam for 1-2 minutes. Adjust seasoning and mix well.

I used spinach leaves in a bag, so I only did the latter step. 



Dish up and serve immediately with boiled white rice, fried fish and a sambal. 

I served mine with Hawaiian rolls. Because globalization. And also because that was cheaper.


My Rating: 3/5 "A unique flavor, albeit kind of bitter. I mean, it's spinach. It's a nice counterpoint to other different kinds of tastes, and would be a nice balance for something spicy (as the recipe suggests)."

Comments