Hasty Pudding (Cornmeal Mush)


6 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup yellow cornmeal


Bring the water to a rapid boil in a heavy covered pot. Add the salt and slowly add the meal to the boiling water, stirring all the time. 

That's more salt that I normally put in stuff, but in this dish you want all the flavoring you can get.


I use a wire whisk for this. Continue stirring until the cornmeal thickens, about 5 minutes. 

Careful! One false move, and you're cleaning dried, congealed cornmeal off of your stovetop for the next six years. 


Turn the heat down low and cover the pot. Continue to simmer lightly, stirring the pudding several times, for 30 minutes more.

It's... food!

My Rating: 3/5 "It's a pleasant consistency with a mild flavor. I sprinkled some sugar on top when I ate it, which jazzed it up nicely. If you're low on cash, this is extremely cheap and accessibly easy to make."

Comments