Chocolate Crackle Cookies


1 box double chocolate brownie mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
¾ cup powdered sugar (reserve for coating dough)


Preheat oven to 350F. Place brownie mix, flour, eggs and oil in medium bowl. Stir until blended. 

Less like this...

...more like this.


Place powdered sugar in separate bowl. For each cookie, scoop 1 rounded tablespoon dough and place in powdered sugar. Roll dough gently into balls, coating thoroughly with powdered sugar.

And they mean thoroughly! If you half-ass this part, your cookies just end up looking kind of dusty and weird. To get the "crackle" effect, you need really sharp contrast.


Place 2 inches apart onto greased cookie sheet. 

More or less. 


Bake 11-13 minutes. Makes 2 ½ dozen cookies. 

See? You can tell which ones were coated "thoroughly," because they're the ones that look much more awesome. 


My Rating: 4/5 "I ate a couple of these right out of the oven, and they were moist and chocolatey and otherwise decadent. The powdered sugar doesn't even get all over your fingers - they're very tidy! The next day I took them to one of the classes I teach, then to a meeting, and then to a graduate seminar I'm taking, and people seemed to munch on them with relish at all of these places. My friend Liz, whose palate I highly respect, told me that they taste like Dunkin Donuts, which seems like a ringing endorsement to me!" 

Comments