Curried Tuna Sandwich

1972 Wisconsin Gas Company Festive Foods Cookbook, p. 35

1 can (7 ounces) tuna, rinsed, drained and flaked
½ cup diced celery
¼ cup finely chopped almonds
½ cup flaked coconut
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ teaspoon curry powder
Dash of pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
8 sliced bread toasted


Combine first 8 ingredients. 

If you actually want to taste the curry, I'd kick it up to 1/2 teaspoon. This amount just seems to add a little color.


Spread on toast. 

Delicately.


Broil 4” from flame until hot and lightly browned (about 3 minutes). 

DO NOT BROIL FOR THREE MINUTES. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU BROIL FOR THREE MINUTES.


Cut each in half, diagonally, and serve hot. 

These were broiled for about 30 seconds, and even that was a little charred. I'd just put them in and keep a close and frequent eye on them.


My Rating: 3/5 "This recipe makes really, really good tuna salad. I enjoyed the coconut in it especially. I took the leftovers of it and made tuna salad sandwiches and loved them. But this open-faced and broiled business? It's... well, it's odd. I'd eat it On an English muffin with cheese, maybe. But this seems Spartan for all the buildup."

Comments