Banana Pancakes

Female Cookbook Volume 22, p. 43

1 banana, peeled and mashed
500g [about 2 c.] wheat flour
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
3 egg yolks
5 egg whites
750ml [about 3 c.] milk
250ml [about 1 c.] water
1 tbsp soya oil

SMASH


Mix the flour and vanilla sugar with the egg yolks and whites. 

I didn't have vanilla sugar. I did have vanilla, though. And sugar. So I mixed them.


Pour the milk and water, stirring until the batter is smooth. Add the mashed banana and the oil. Let the batter stand for about an hour.

All the things!



Heat a non-stick frying pan. Pour a little batter onto the pan. Cook the pancakes on both sides.


So here's where everything started to go terribly wrong. So... this recipe makes "batter" that's mostly just eggy water with bananas in it.

It turns out that EGGY BANANA WATER DOESN'T FRY. NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU LEAVE IT IN THERE. Most of it remains mush while a teeny fraction sticks to the pan and turns into charcoal. 

So I tried to make it better by adding an extra cup of flour. To make it,you know, an actual batter. They started frying, but they also were mostly flour at that point. So I made enough for my dinner and threw out the rest.

BON FRIGGIN APPETIT.

My Rating: 1/5 "I suppose I was overdue for a cooking disaster. If you make the recipe exactly, you can't eat it. If you add enough flour to make it edible, it loses all its flavor and just turns into a really bland piece of pan-fried bread. If anyone can think of a way to overhaul this be my guest. Personally, I'm too grumpy to mess with it again." 

Comments