Almond Trifles


8 Amaretti di Saronno biscuits
4 tbsp brandy or Amaretti liqueur
225 g/8 oz raspberries, thawed if frozen
300 ml/1/2 pint/1 ¼ cups low-fat custard
300 ml/1/2 pint/1 ¼ cups low-fat natural fromage frais (unsweetened yogurt)
1 tsp almond essence (extract)
15 g/1/2 oz toasted almonds, flaked (slivered)
1 tsp cocoa powder

This is a British recipe and I was worried that some of the ingredients wouldn't really translate - ready-made custard, for instance. But look what I found!


Place the biscuits in a mixing bowl and using a rolling pin, carefully crush the biscuits into small pieces.

I also couldn't find the Amaretti cookies at Wally World, so I substituted some almond biscotti. 


Divide the crushed biscuits among 4 serving glasses. Sprinkle over the brandy or liqueur and leave to stand for about 30 minutes to allow the biscuits to soften.

Right on board with the liqueur, though. I love me some Amaretto.


Top the layer of biscuits with a layer of raspberries, reserving a few raspberries for decoration, and spoon over enough custard to just cover.

Final addendum: I used a berry mix since it's not fresh raspberry season. It mostly went well, although the strawberries were a little odd with the other trifle ingredients. 


Mix the fromage frais (unsweetened yogurt) with the almond essence (extract) and spoon over the custard. 

This yogurt mixture is really interesting and really good. Just don't be fooled by the awesome scent of the almond extract while you're making it - that stuff tastes NASTY by itself. 


Leave to chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.


Just before serving, sprinkle over the toasted almonds and dust with cocoa powder. Decorate with the reserved raspberries and serve at once. 

All neat and pretty!


My Rating: 4/5 "This made me feel awesome and fancy. I loved the variety of flavors and textures and the finesse that went into making it. I'd imagine that with fresh raspberries it's just spectacular!"

Comments