Fried Fish


6 pieces of fresh fish fillet (Catfish is traditional)
1 cup white cornmeal
½ cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
Vegetable oil

Rinse the pieces of fish in cold water and dry them gently with paper towels.

Measure the cornmeal, flour, salt, and pepper into a paper bag. 

I didn't have any paper bags, but I did have Gladware!


Hold the top of the bag closed and shake it to mix the ingredients.

For the record, putting the lid on the Gladware and shaking it does exactly the same thing. 


Put a sheet of wax paper on the counter near the stove. Put 5 layers of paper towel next to the wax paper.

Put a piece of fish in the paper bag. Hold the top closed and shake the bag gently to coat the fish with the cornmeal mixture.

Take the fish out of the bag and lay it on the wax paper. Prepare the rest of the fish in the same way.

This is Mahi-mahi. I also made the mistake of Googling to see what Mahi-mahi look like outside of the kitchen. Don't do it. 


Pour about ½ inch of vegetable oil into a skillet. Heat the oil over medium-high heat.

When the oil is hot and rippling, have an adult help you gently add the fish to the skillet, using the spatula.

Fry the fish on 1 side for 3 to 4 minutes. Then use a spatula to turn the pieces over. Fry them for another 3 to 4 minutes. The pieces will flake apart with a fork when they are cooked.

I used yellow cornmeal instead of white, and I loved the glowing golden color they got as they fried. 


Use the spatula to lift the fried fish out of the skillet and lay them on the paper towels.

After the pieces have drained, place them on a plate. Serve with hush puppies. 

Or a salad. Because healthy.


My Rating: 4/5 "I'm not sure why I was so wild about this stuff, but I really couldn't get enough. The breading is particularly delicious for all it's so simple - flavorful and textured, but still light. Even my partner, who hates fish, enjoyed the outside of the nuggets. I highly recommend!"

Comments