Creamed Onions


3 cups sliced onion
¼ cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1 cup milk


Three cups sliced is about three small/medium onions.

Cook onion, covered, in a large amount of boiling salted water till tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain. 

I was not a fan of the smell at this part of the cooking process. But it gets better, I promise.


In saucepan mix butter, flour, salt, thyme, and dash pepper. Blend in milk; cook, stirring constantly, till thickened and bubbly. 

Here's where it gets better!


Stir in onion slices. Heat through. 

Combined! Soupier than I expected - you might want little bowls to eat it out of.


Makes 6 to 8 servings. 

Served up with some frozen pierogies, for which this was the PERFECT complement!

My Rating: 4/5 "This rating is a compromise, because my partner thought it was a 5 and just gobbled it down and I thought it was a 3. It did fit really, really well with the pierogies (we were dipping them in the cream sauce and it was wonderful), but I'd be careful what you pair this with. That said, it's a really unique recipe - never had anything like it!"

Comments