Cabbage with Sour Cream Sauce (Weisskohl mit Sahnensauce)


1 firm medium-sized cabbage
1 large onion
¼ pint veal or chicken stock
¼ pint sour cream
1 level tablespoon flour
Grated nutmeg
Black pepper and salt to taste
1 oz. butter

BEHOLD THE MIGHTY CABBAGE.

Remove the outer cabbage leaves and the thick white stump. Chop the rest coarsely and pour boiling water over it. 

You will only make it angrier and more powerful.


Gently cook the sliced onion in the butter until it is golden but tender, add the cabbage, thoroughly drained from water, and the stock and simmer gently until the cabbage is tender.

This was definitely bulkier than I thought it would be - I had to break out the wok!


Mix the cream and flour together until smooth and thick, season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg, pour over the cabbage which should have absorbed most of the stock.

When I read the word "pour" I suddenly realized that they wanted me to use liquid cream that had gone sour rather than the tub of Daisy I had purchased. Oops.

Yeah... the cabbage didn't really do much absorbing.



Serve with a thick grilled gammon rasher of bacon. 

Served up with some spaetzle, because German food.

My Rating: 3/5 "Make this for company, because it makes quite a large quantity! It would make a nice little veggie accent to another dish. That said, I like cabbage (probably more than the average person) so I enjoyed it on its own rights."

Comments