Biscuits and Gravy


½ pound pork breakfast sausage (bulk)
2 tablespoons chopped yellow onions
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups hot milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 batch of biscuits

I cheated and used biscuits from a can. But they were really good biscuits from a can!

The dish is made in a frying pan. Heat the pan and fry the sausage and onion until the sausage is brown and the onion clear. 

Gotta make sure that your sausage doesn't clump. Mine tried to be really cohesive so I spent the entire time it was frying cutting it up into smaller pieces.

Drain off all grease except for 2 tablespoons. Stir in the flour and cook for just a minute. Add the hot milk. I heat mine in the microwave. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens and then season with salt and pepper. 

Soy milk (which was what I had on hand) proved to add a delicious element to the overall flavor (although it lost a little something in texture).

I doubt that you will need much salt, but pepper will be a must.


Serve over warm opened biscuits. 

The ultimate decadent comfort food.


My Rating: 4/5 "So simple, so tasty! This recipe is really all about the sausage: It'll be great with great sausage and mediocre with mediocre sausage. I used the bulk country sausage from Fresh Market and I really can't recommend it enough. The gravy was even better as leftovers once the flavors had all had a while to mingle." 

Comments