Hasty, Tasty Casserole


1 lb. ground beef
3 carrots, scraped and sliced
3 ribs celery, sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced in rings
1 green pepper, thinly sliced in rings
1 (8 oz.) can sliced mushrooms
¼ tsp. basil
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 can tomato soup
Liquid from mushrooms


Place half the ground beef in bottom of shallow greased casserole. 

I dunno if you're supposed to pound the beef down, but I felt weird just leaving it in big lumps.

Cover with half the carrot slices, celery slices, onion and green pepper slices. 

I was really sick when I shopped and forgot to buy an onion, so I sprinkled some garlic powder to add a little more depth to the flavor.

Sprinkle with half the seasoning. Cover with remaining ground beef and repeat layers, topping with sliced mushrooms. Combine the tomato soup and mushroom liquid and pour over all. Cover and bake in a moderate oven, 350 degrees F, from 1 ½ to 2 hours. 

I was astounded by how pretty it was when it came out.

Served up with some of Matt's delicious charoset!

My Rating: 4/5 "Nice homey food that's surprisingly low-calorie! Although I take issue with calling it "hasty" when it takes so much chopping and baking, it certainly is tasty."

Comments