Bishop's Bread (Bischofbrot)

Cooking the Austrian Way, p. 214

½ cup butter
½ cup sugar
5 egg yolks
5 egg whites
Rind and juice of 1 lemon
1 cup flour
1 cup chopped citron peel, sultanas, orange peel and cooking chocolate (in little lumps, not grated)


Matt was very nice and let me use the Kitchen Aid food chopper I got him for our first anniversary on this recipe. That sucker can really chop!
This is what the cup of stuff looks like. (I used chocolate chips for the cooking chocolate.) 

Beat the butter and sugar to a cream. Add the egg yolks well beaten, one at a time. Beat very well and add the lemon juice. Mix all the dry ingredients together. Beat the egg whites to a stiff froth. Fold the flour mixture and the whites of eggs into the butter mixture alternately. It should be a nice creamy batter. Pour into a well-greased deep cake-tin with a loose base. Bake for 1 hour in a moderate oven. 

I didn't whip up the egg whites much, which I suspect is why my bread didn't get very tall. 

But it was still good!

My Rating: 4/5 "Loved the combination of sweet and citrus. I think if I made it again I'd scale down on the amount of peel/zest in it, because including so much made the bread more bitter than it needed to be. I think doing 1/2 cup chocolate chips with smaller amounts of the other things would be great. That said, it's a nice flavor as-is!"

Comments