Znojmo Goulash


2 lb. beef (shin)
2 oz. dripping or lard
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 onion
2 pickled cucumbers
Pinch pepper
Salt


Wipe meat, cut into small pieces and season with salt and pepper. 

I used round steak - I'd recommend making chunks instead of the strips I cut. You really want something bite-sized.


Fry the finely chopped onion in the fat, add the meat and fry quickly. Then add a little water and simmer until tender. When the liquid evaporates, sprinkle on the flour, allow to brown slightly, then add a little water and cook well. 

Onions and beef!

Add the diced cucumbers to the sauce and serve with dumplings or potatoes. 

And PICKLES!

Chopped tomatoes and paprika may be added instead of the cucumbers. 

Served with some mock Topokki I made for a remarkably well-balanced meal.

My Rating: 5/5 "Proof once again that the simplest recipes are sometimes the best. If you like beef you'll like this, and if you like pickles you'll LOVE it!"

Comments