Hobo Dinner

Avera McKennan School of Radiology Cookbook 2010, p. 82

½ c. chopped onion
1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
1 T. butter
Seasoned salt to taste
Baby carrots
2 potatoes, sliced
Pepper, to taste


The prep work is pretty fun. I used yellow potatoes, which are an easier slice.

Add chopped onion to ground beef and shape into patties. Place hamburger patty, sliced potatoes and carrots on foil, dotting butter over vegetables. 

Dot! Dot! Dot!

Add seasonings, then seal foil well. Place foil dinner over fire or grill and cook 30 to 40 minutes, or until beef is no longer pink (turn halfway through cooking time). This can also be cooked in the oven at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes, or until done. 

I did the oven version, which comes out looking like this...

...and goes in the bowl looking like this!

My Rating: 2/5 "We were really underwhelmed with this. It was bland and dry. I tried to take the leftovers for lunch at work, but ended up just marching around complaining about dieting because I was so reluctant to eat this again. It IS low-cal, but trust me when I say you can do low-cal so much better."

Comments