Orange and Cinnamon Biscotti


1 cup sugar
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt

Don't grate your fingers!

Preheat oven to 325F. Butter 2 baking sheets. Beat sugar and butter in large bowl until blended. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each. Beat in orange peel and vanilla. Stir flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into medium bowl. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture; mix just until incorporated.

Divide dough in half. Place each half on prepared sheet. With lightly floured hands, form each half into 3-inch-wide by ¾-inch-high log. 

Logs?

Bake until dough logs are firm to touch, about 35 minutes. Remove dough logs from oven and cool 10 minutes.

Well THAT didn't go as planned. (Once I sliced them, though, it didn't really matter.)


Transfer logs to work surface. Using serrated knife, cut on diagonal into ½-inch-thick slices. Arrange cut side down on baking sheets. Bake until bottoms are golden, about 12 minutes. Turn biscotti over; bake until bottoms are golden, about 12 minutes longer. Transfer to racks and cool. 

I cut my slices in half because I was feeding a crowd. 

My Rating: 4/5 "Subtly flavorful and great consistency! I put them out without explaining to people what they were, and I kept hearing 'That's really good bread, I want more bread.' They were really excited when they found out it was biscotti, though. Anyway: Make this, it's good."

Comments