Roti Djalah

Asia’s Undiscovered Cuisine, p. 100 (Indonesia)

4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
3 eggs
Salt


Mix these ingredients with enough water to make a thin batter. 

My batter could probably have been thinner still. When they say "add water" they mean pile it on.

Have ready on top of the stove a hot greased pan. Dip all five fingers of one hand deep into the bowl of batter and let the mixture run from your hand into the pan in a lacy pattern. 

I do own a roti jala maker, a great gift from a great friend, but since the recipe said to do it by hand I decided that I'd give that a whirl.

Turn the pancake over before it is brown and lightly cook the other side. 

Unfortunately, my fingers are big and clumsy and these are probably the ugliest roti jala ever made.

This is also not how you're supposed to serve roti jala. You're supposed to dip it in stuff. But we had a can of Mattar Paneer laying around so I just kind of threw it on and called it good (and it actually was quite good). Also we had corn.

My Rating: 4/5 "I really love roti jala, and have ever since my friend Faye first made it for me. I will be the first to admit that I botched this up and am disappointed in myself, since they're supposed to be lacy and delicate and mine came out big and clunky. But the flavor was good, so I'd recommend trying this for yourself and using a photo example of the real deal to see if you can't get yours looking better. Or just use a roti jala maker even if the recipe says not to."

Comments