Famous Pumpkin Pie


¾ cup granulated sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
1 can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated milk
1 unbaked 9-inch deep-dish pie shell
Whipped cream

Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. 

You know it's legit when it comes out shaped like the can.


Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

Pour into pie shell.

When they say you need a deep-dish pie crust, they're not kidding. I used a regular frozen crust and had this much filling left over. And that was after I had overfilled the crust so badly that it spilled all over the inside of the oven. Which prompted me to eat the extra filling right out of the bowl with the spoon. My life is very glamorous. 


Bake in preheated 425F. oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350F.; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.

Done! (Photo strategically cropped to hide a burned part of the crust.)



NOTE: 1 ¾ tsp. pumpkin pie spice may be substituted  for the cinnamon, ginger and cloves; however, the taste will be slightly different.


My Rating: 4/5 "Ginger in a pumpkin pie is a new idea for me (i.e. my family never put ginger in pumpkin pies while I was growing up), but it added a nice spritely element to the whole thing. The consistency was a little less than firm, but I think that was a me-oops rather than a recipe-oops. All of that said, I've been gobbling this up because hell yeah pumpkin pie."

Comments