Blueberry Pie Filling



3 ½ c. fresh blueberries
¾ c. + 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
¼ c. + 1 Tbsp. Clear Jel
1 c. cold water
3 ½ tsp. bottled lemon juice
3 drops blue food coloring (optional)
1 drop red food coloring (optional)

Select sweet, very ripe but firm, deep blue fruit.

Wash and drain fresh blueberries. For fresh fruit, place in boiling water. Boil each batch one minute after the water returns to a boil. 

Boiling blueberries!


Drain, but keep heated fruit in a covered bowl or pot. Combine sugar and Clear Jel in a large kettle. Stir. Add water and, if desired, food coloring. Cook on medium high heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. 

I used Sure Jell instead of Clear Jel. The internet told me that this would be a horrible idea and that my pie filling would turn to jelly. The internet was wrong!


Add lemon juice and boil one minute, stirring constantly. Fold in drained berries immediately and fill jars with mixture without delay, leaving 1 inch head space. Adjust lids and process immediately. 

Makes 1 quart.

Since I'm not into canning and this was just an experiment I made a single batch of it and put it directly into a pie.

See? Mmmmpie!



My Rating: 4/5 "This is darned good blueberry pie. As I mentioned above I was nervous that the pectin would give it a jelly-like consistency, but if anything it came out a little soupy. Good flavor all around, and especially delicious if you serve a slice of the pie with a dollop of vanilla ice cream. If you like pie and you're into canning, make a whole bunch of batches of this to have around!"

Comments