Blackeye Peas - South of the Border



1 can (15.5 oz) blackeye peas, drained
1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
½ cup chopped celery
¼ cup finely chopped red onion
¼ cup Italian salad dressing
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed

In a mixing bowl combine blackeye peas, diced tomatoes and green chilies, chopped celery, finely chopped onion and Italian salad dressing.

All mixed up and ready to go!


Season with salt and pepper and stir to coat.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Stir in avocado just before serving. Serve as a dip with tortilla chips.

So we actually ate this as a sort of salad side dish (obvs with some mac and cheese) and I have to say it was really good just eaten with a spoon. No chips needed! It could also make a really nice party dip, though.

My Rating: 4/5 "I was pleasantly surprised by this. While I was making it I convinced myself it was going to taste insanely weird - but I then I took a bite. It's delicious. It's actually not as spicy as the name implies (which was sad for me but might be a plus for some of you). What's more is that it's really nice to digest and makes you feel nicely full and energized. I'd recommend making this salsa even if blackeye peas aren't usually your bag."

Comments