Coconut Tart



Short crust 4 oz.
A little jam
Margarine 1 oz. [2 Tbsp.]
Caster sugar 1 oz. [1/2 c.]
Desiccated coconut 4 oz. [1 1/3 c.]
2 eggs

Line a deep pie plate with pastry and spread with a thin layer of jam. 

I used apricot, which I thought went pretty seamlessly with the coconut.


Melt the margarine and mix with the coconut, sugar, and lightly beaten eggs. 

This has a really pleasant consistency to stir.


Spread evenly over the jam, and bake 35-40 minutes, the first 15 minutes 450F Regulo No. 7, then reduce to moderate (400F, Regulo No. 5).

I'm a little hazy on the difference between a pie and a tart, and it seems to me like this thing straddles that distinction.


My Rating: 4/5 "If you like tropical flavors you'll enjoy this sweet treat. Unfortunately it doesn't come out of the oven especially gorgeous (which hurt its prospects at the potluck I took it to), but the flavor is pretty awesome. Make it when you're feeling a little coco-nutty!" 

Comments