One-Pan Sweet & Sour Chicken



½ cup apricot preserves
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons freshly grated gingerroot
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 (14- to 16-ounce) package chicken tenders or chicken stir fry meat
6 ounces (about 2 cups) snow peas
1 cup matchstick carrots
1 cup pineapple chunks, drained
3 cups cooked long grain rice

Combine apricot preserves, soy sauce, vinegar and gingerroot in small bowl; mix well using wire whisk. Set aside.

It's weird mixing jelly into things, but do-able.


Melt 1 tablespoon butter in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until sizzling; add chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken starts to brown (6 to 8 minutes). 

I thought the tenor of the ingredient list was that you were supposed to use, like, packaged frozen chicken, so I used these Avengers-shaped chicken nuggets.  I think I was wrong about that. It would probably have been a better idea to just get chicken from the poultry section.


Add remaining 3 tablespoons butter, snow peas and carrots. Continue cooking until vegetables are crisply tender (3 to 5 minutes). 

That said, we had Avengers Chinese food, so that was pretty baller.


Stir in apricot mixture and pineapple; continue cooking until heated through (1 to 2 minutes).

Serve over cooked rice.


All done! 

My Rating: 4/5 "This is legit. It's not the most nuanced sweet-and-sour sauce (I've def made some nicer ones), but the combination of the sweet sauce with the crunch of the vegetables and the awesomeness of the chicken? Good stuff."

Comments

Popular Posts