Spiced Hermits



1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. cloves
2 tsp. lemon extract
1 tsp. soda dissolved in 1 Tbsp. hot water
2 cups raisins, rinsed and ground
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour

I put the raisins in the food chopper, where they just made a big sticky mess. I'm not sure how I feel about the "grinding raisins" bit of this recipe.


Combine ingredients in order given and chill dough. 

Chilling is crucial! If you don't, then you're just trying to roll out buttery gloop and it's impossible. 


Roll out thinly and cut with large round cookie cutter. 

I.e. a glass.


Sprinkle with sugar and bake at 350 degrees F. for 10 to 12 minutes. Makes a large batch.

It sure makes nice big cookies!

My Rating: 4/5 "These are DELICIOUS. The spice blend is on point, the raisins complement it beautifully, and they have a nice cookie texture. Really my only complaint about them is that they're a TON of work, but if you have an afternoon to spend, the flavor is well worth the effort."

Comments