Basic Mojakka (Stew)


FinnFest 2017

1 ½ to 2 pounds beef stew meat
2 Tbsp. butter
6 cups water, broth, or a combination
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tsp. whole allspice
6 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large rutabaga, peeled and chopped
1 tsp. salt

Behold the noble rutabaga!


Brown meat in butter. Place meat in stock pot with water, onion and allspice. Bring to a simmer. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, and salt. 

What a nice winter root vegetable combination. :) 


Replace lid and simmer on medium-low until vegetables are tender (about 30 minutes).

(I'll confess I used a little more beef than I was supposed to, but look at how nice and thick this stew is!)



My Rating: 4/5 "Loved how unique this is! The allspice is what makes it stand out - it's really tasty. I also quite enjoyed the rutabaga! It had more flavor and stayed sturdy better than the potatoes - I wish the stew had more rutabaga than potato instead of vice versa. Enjoy this homey cold-weather comfort food!"

Comments