Broccoli with Sesame and Salted Lemon Wheels

The Vegetarian Table: Japan, p. 105 

2 teaspoons white sesame seeds

1 pound broccoli

1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil

SALTED LEMON WHEELS

1 lemon, rinsed, ends cut off, and thinly sliced into 12 rounds

1 teaspoon salt

Toast the sesame seeds in a dry skillet or microwave plate until golden and beginning to pop, about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.

Rinse the broccoli and cut off the stems, reserving the leaves. Cut the broccoli tops into florets. Peel the stems and cut them into thin rounds.

I lost patience with peeling the stems, but at least I can say I tried.


Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Add the broccoli florets, stems, and leaves and cook over high heat for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside in the drainer for 5 minutes.

While still warm, transfer the broccoli to a platter and drizzle the sesame oil over the top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, arrange the lemon wheels around and about, and serve.

Isn't it pretty? (Like, I called my partner into the kitchen to be like "Look what I did!" before I served it.

Since it's Japanese food I had mine with a grocery store Philly roll and some calimari salad.


Salted Lemon Wheels

Place the lemon slices on a plate. Sprinkle the salt over the slices, turn to coat both sides, and set aside for at least 20 minutes or up to several hours. 

Fastest pickle in the West!

Use right away. (These may be refrigerated for up to 2 days.)


My Rating: 4/5 "Crisp and tasty! A titch more sesame oil would have added more flavor, but the overall presentation is so nice I'd hate to drown the dish. Those pickled lemons really pack a punch - they're great in combination with the brocoli, but if you're planning to take a bite out of one of them get your palate in an about-to-eat-a-Warhead place first, because yikes they're sour!"

Comments