Pineapple Pickle

Asia’s Undiscovered Cuisine, p. 204 (India)

1 medium pineapple

1 tablespoon ground chili powder

1 tablespoon mustard seed

1 clove garlic

2 slices green ginger

A pinch of turmeric

A scant cup good white vinegar

Salt to taste

Peel the pineapple and dice it. Grind all the spices with a little vinegar. 

I am utterly thrilled about any excuse to use my mortar and pestle.

It's a visibly wonderful spice mix.


Mix in the remaining vinegar, add the pineapple and salt and mix well together. 

I didn't do as good of a job grinding the mustard seeds as I could have.


This pickle can be eaten straight away, and should not be kept more than 2 or 3 days.

Served with some frozen biryani. (Because one time-intensive dish per meal is enough.)


My Rating: 4/5 "Wonderful. So sweet, but so fire-hot at the same time. Pair it with meat and rice to add a huge burst of flavor to your meal."

Comments