Candle Salad

The Brown County Cookbook, p. 41

Canned Pineapple

Lettuce

Bananas

Cherries

Mayonnaise

Place a whole slice of canned pineapple on a lettuce leaf. Stick ½ a banana upright in the center of the pineapple. 

Try to cut the bananas so that the halves aren't super curvy.


Top the banana with a red cherry. 

I put toothpicks in the tops to help the cherry stay on.

I used maraschinos and they tripped a little, but the overall effect still worked!


Garnish with a yellow salad dressing to represent tallow running down the sides of a lighted candle.

Served for Christmas dinner with some roast beast, corn, and Aunt Connie's cheezy potatoes.


My Rating: 4/5 "It's a mid-century monstrosity, but it's a cute one and I enjoyed making it. My family acted like I was doing something insanely weird, but I thought it was a fun visual addition to the Christmas spread. It also tastes good; I mean, it's pineapple, banana, and a cherry, so what's not to like?"

Comments