Pueblo Calabacitas

Indian Cookin’, p. 27

3 ears corn

1 onion

Fresh garlic

Summer squash

2 tomatoes

Crumbled cheese

Cut kernels off ears of corn and slice onion and mince garlic. 

I took this shot mostly so I could show up my super-cute new cutting board.


Combine with a little water in a covered pan. Cook 5 minutes. Add sliced squash and cook another 10 minutes. 

Corn not being season, I was forced to settle for frozen. It was fine.


Add sliced tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are warm but not mushy. Add crumbled yellow or white cheese. Mix lightly and serve.

Served with a friend's delicious vegetarian picadillo!

My Rating: 3/5 "Apparently it's the onion/garlic/tomato addition that makes this a Pueblo take on calabacitas. You'd think that those things would jazz up the dish, but unfortunately that didn't pan out to be true. The only flavorful thing about the dish, when it's done, is the cheese, so I guess if you make this be generous with the cheese. But you may want to shop around for a calabacitas recipe that's a little more interesting."

Comments