Kedgeree II

A Culinary Collection from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, p. 83

2 cups leftover white fish (sole, bluefish, flounder) or a fish that has been poached in white wine, water, salt, pepper, and a pinch of thyme

4 cups cooked rice (any kind except instant rice)

1 hard-boiled egg, finely chopped

1 ½ teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons curry powder

1 tablespoon chopped parsley

Butter or light cream (optional)

1 tablespoon raisins and/or chopped peanuts (optional)

Break fish into small bits and mix gently with rest of ingredients. 

This is tilapia poached in the ingredients mentioned above. (A friend helped with the poaching because I have no idea how to handle myself if a recipe doesn't explictly tell me what to do.)


Once it's all broken up and combined it's a pretty seamless mixture.



This mixture is quite try; if a more moist consistency is wanted, add butter or a few tablespoons of cream. Heat thoroughly in a double boiler. Can be prepared well in advance.

Served with a friend's tasty Asian-inspired spicy salad!

My Rating: 4/5 "This is a more interesting kedgeree than I've made in the past. (I was actually out of curry powder so I substituted garam masala and a little cardamom.) I would have liked more of the raisins and peanuts to add more variety of flavor and texture, though, to keep stepping it up. It's pleasant as-is, especially if you pair it with something more flavorful."

Comments