Louella’s Deviled Eggs

Jan Karon’s Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader, p. 158

6 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled

2 tablespoons mayonnaise

2 tablespoons sour cream

1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

1 teaspoon prepared mustard

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Paprika, for garnish

Slice the eggs in half lengthwise and carefully remove the yolks. In a small bowl, use a fork to mash the egg yolks with the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper.

Interesting combination of stuff!


Spoon the filling back into the egg white halves. You can also spoon the filling into a sandwich size zip-top bag, cut a small opening in one corner of the bag, and pipe the filling into the egg white halves.

It turns out that to make deviled eggs look good you have to be really deft about peeling them. I apparently lack that skill.


Refrigerate until ready to serve, garnish with a sprinkle of paprika, and serve on a deviled egg plate.

It took me two different thrift stores, but I finally found a deviled egg plate.

My Rating: 4/5 "These are a milder, more mellow deviled egg than I'm used to. I appreciated them for that, though, because they were a relaxing addition to our little picnic. I learned the hard way - don't leave them out on the plate in the fridge overnight; it ruins the texture."

Comments