Roast Chicken in Brandy Sauce

The Super Chicken Cookbook, p. 33

1 4- to 6-pound roasting chicken

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon pepper

6 tablespoons butter

¼ cup onion, chopped fine

¾ cup brandy

½ cup heavy cream

1 tablespoon minced parsley

I used a nice South Dakota brandy I had laying around.


Cut the chicken into serving pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Cutting up a chicken is not as hard as it seems.


Melt the butter in an ovenproof skillet and brown the pieces of chicken in it evenly over moderate heat.

Add the onion and continue to cook until it is tender and glazed. Add the brandy and turn each piece of chicken so that it is coated with brandy.

Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and place in a 350F oven for 25 minutes. Then remove the foil and pour the cream into the chicken mixture. Continue to cook at 350F for 5 minutes longer. Serve at once, piping hot, garnished with the minced parsley.

I took this before I realized that I had totally forgotten to add the cream to the sauce. I drizzled some over the meat, though, and everything came out very nice.

My Rating: 4/5 "The favor of the brandy really shines here, and the cooking process makes the chicken wonderfully tender. The overall flavor is subtly sophisticated!"

Comments