Pumpkin-Bourbon Mold

Talk about Good!, p. 344

2 Tbsp. gelatin

½ c. water

1 c. bourbon

½ c. sugar

1 Tbsp. lemon juice

1 ½ c. pumpkin

1 c. sour cream

½ pt. cream, whipped

1 ½ tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. ginger

½ tsp. mace

Dissolve gelatin with water in double boiler. Add bourbon, sugar, lemon juice. Stir until blended and slightly thick. Combine pureed pumpkin with sour cream and whipped cream. Add spices. 

I put a little red decorating sugar in my mixture to help things look a little more robust. I'm not sure it did much good.


Blend this well with thickened mixture. 

But it did look pumpkin-y!


Turn in 5 ½ cup mold rinsed in cold water. Chill until firm. 

I was so excited to get to use my Jello mold!


I have frozen these in parfait glasses topped with whipped cream and nuts. Nuts in the pumpkin mixture is good, too.

I dunno about all that parfait nonsense, but this is what the ring mold version looks like. 


My Rating: 2/5 "Maybe it's because I grew up after the demise of the Jello monstrosity fad, but I just couldn't wrap my palate around this. It gets in the door nicely because it tastes like pumpkin pie at first, but then you notice that there's a TON of bourbon and that the combination of flavors is weirdly hot. And of course it all has that delightful gelatin consistency that just adds to the weirdness. Now don't get me wrong; I ate a whole serving and also had some of the leftovers. But I can't say I ate it with joy down in my heart."

Comments