Baked Cheesy Grits

Besh Big Easy, p. 124

1 tablespoon salt

4 tablespoons butter

1 cup stone ground grits

1 cup grated provolone or mozzarella cheese

½ cup cream cheese

Pinch red pepper flakes

Bring 1 quart water, the salt, and butter to a boil in a large saucepan, then slowly whisk in the grits. Lower the heat and cook, stirring often, until the grits become soft and creamy, about 20 minutes. 

I don't live in an area where I can easily get stone-ground grits, but this kind works ok for the recipe if you alter your cooking times,


Remove from heat and fold in the cheese, pepper flakes, and more salt. 

Cheeeeeeese


Serve right from the pan, or transfer to a skillet and bake at 350F for 15 minutes.

Served with some lemon pepper-seasoned chicken.


My Rating: 2/5 "I was excited to make this because I love savory cheesy grits. This recipe, despite Besh's excellent reputation, is unfortunately not that spectacular. The cheese isn't flavorful, there aren't enough red pepper flakes to add much pizzazz, and it's incredibly salty. (Even my salt-loving husband thought it was too much.) As much as I abhor food waste I still threw out the leftovers of this dish."

Comments