French Onion Soup

Swanson

1 ½ tbsp. olive oil

2 extra-large onions (about 1 lb.) cut in half and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)

1 tbsp. all-purpose flour

¼ cup dry white wine

1 can (14.5 oz.) low sodium beef broth (about 1 ¾ cups)

1 small bay leaf

3 slices (1/2” thick) French bread

¼ cup shredded Swiss cheese

I'm not gonna lie; it's a butt-ton of onions.


Heat 1 tbsp. oil in 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook 20 min. or until deep brown and caramelized, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle flour over onions. Cook and stir 2 min.

Add wine and cook and stir 2 min. Increase heat to medium-high. Add broth and bay leaf and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 20 min. 

But they blend in so seamlessly!


Remove and discard bay leaf. Season to taste.

Heat oven to 400F. Place bread slices on baking sheet. Brush bread slices with remaining oil. Bake 5 min. or until toasted. Top each with about 1 tbsp. cheese. Bake 2 min. or until cheese is melted. 

The closest thing I could find to French bread at Target was English muffins. Tres gauche, I know.


Serve soup in bowls topped with toasted bread slices. Top with fresh thyme, if desired.

The thyme would have been a tasty accent, but groceries are expensive.

My Rating: 4/5 "I've always been afraid to try French onion soup because it's so good and I didn't want to ruin it. This seemed like a nice simple recipe to give it a whirl with, though, and I'm glad I tried it. Although this probably the most sophisticated or authentic way to make this, it's incredibly tasty. It was supposed to make like three servings but my partner and I gobbled it up in two!"

Comments