Sausage and Sauerkraut with Dumplings

Betty Crocker’s Dinner for Two Cookbook, p. 70

1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut

4 medium Polish or bratwurst sausages

¼ teaspoon caraway seed

1 tablespoon chopped onion

½ cup water

½ cup buttermilk baking mix

3 tablespoons milk

Snipped parsley

Cans of kraut have apparently gotten larger over the years.


In saucepan, heat sauerkraut (with liquid), sausages, caraway seed, onion and water to boiling.

Smoky cheddar brats FTW!


Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Stir baking mix and milk with fork to a soft dough. Drop dough by spoonfuls (2 or 3) onto sauerkraut. Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes; cover and cook 10 minutes. 

I thought I had Bisquick and then it turned out I didn't so I used matzah ball mix.


Remove dumplings, sausages and sauerkraut with slotted spoon to serving platter. Garnish with parsley.

The cookbook said the recipe made two servings. If this one serving is any indication it really makes four.

My Rating: 4/5 "I love brats and sauerkraut so I was in hog heaven (so to speak) with this. The only reason it's a 4 instead of a 5 is that I was confused by the dumplings. Were they supposed to stand in for spaetzle? Because they're not the same, and the big balls of dough are an unexpected texture addition to the overall dish. Still tasty though, and I looked forward to eating the leftovers."

Comments