Pan-Fried Fish

 The Flavor of American Tradition, p. 16

2/3 cup corn meal

½ teaspoon salt

Dash pepper

2 lb. fish fillets

½ cup milk

Combine corn meal, salt and pepper. Dip fish in milk, then roll in corn meal mixture. 

You're probably meant to use catfish with this but Target didn't have any so I used tilapia.


Pan-fry in hot shortening until golden brown on each side. 

I have no idea why the recipe italicized "shortening." Apparently it's very important somehow.


Drain on absorbent paper.

 

Served with grapes. Because... I had grapes.

My Rating: 4/5 "Buttery and yummy. I wouldn't recommend using tilapia like I did, actually, becuase then it just feels like a glow-up of a McDonald's Filet O Fish. But if you use the right fish and sprinkle on a little lemon juice, this is pretty great stuff."

Comments