Beggarman's Soup (Bettelmanns-Suppe)

Cooking the Austrian Way, p. 23

4 slices rye bread

Sufficient butter to spread

4 eggs

1 quart stock

Chopped parsley

Toast the rye bread, and butter generously. Cut into snips and place in 4 soup plates. 

Or two, if you halve the recipe like I did.


While the stock is coming rapidly to a fast simmer, break an egg on to the toast in each plate and sprinkle with parsley. Share the stock equally over each plate and serve immediately.

I forgot the parsley because I was really excited to see what would happen when I poured the stock over the egg.

It cooks a little, although not as much as I thought it would.

My Rating: 3/5 "This definitely has attractive old-world flavor, and it's fun to make, but it's nothing to get super excited about. The novelty wears off after a couple of bites and then you're just eating soggy eggy bread. Make it on a lark, but don't make it a dinner feature."

Comments