Spinach Stew

Cooking the African Way, p. 36 (Ghana)

¾ cup vegetable oil

1 small onion, peeled and cubed

1 small tomato, cubed

3 ounces tomato paste

1 pound fresh spinach, chopped, or 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed

1 12-ounce can corned beef

1 teaspoon ground red pepper

1 teaspoon salt

In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add onions and saute until transparent.

Add tomatoes and tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes. 

I felt weird trying to "cube" round vegetables, but it works.


Add remaining ingredients, cover, and cook for 30 to 35 minutes over medium-low heat.

Eventually you can't really tell that there's beef in there.


Serve over rice.

A great combination!

My Rating: 4/5 "Everyone in my family really liked this. It's so savory and satisfying. I'm really tempted to give it a five, but it's just a hair too salty for my taste. But other than that it's spectacular!"

Comments