Kraut Apple Salad

Cooking with Kraut, p. 33

2 ½ cups undrained sauerkraut

2 red-skinned applies, sliced

1 cup thinly sliced celery

1 teaspoon sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

½ cup mayonnaise

Place kraut in refrigerator and chill overnight or for several hours; drain. Combine chilled kraut with remaining ingredients; mix lightly but thoroughly. 

Yes, yes, there's mayo in this, but stay with me because it's going somewhere good.


Serve on crisp salad greens.

An attractive side dish with some couscous and some turkey bacon!

My Rating: 5/5 "I was bowled over by how much I liked this. I normally scoff at mid-centry food (this cookbook is from the 50s), but this was spectacular. Loved the interplay of the kraut and the apples, and the celery adds great texture. If you like sauerkraut, you'll love this!"

Comments