Tangy & Sweet Meatballs

Make It! Take It Volume 2, p. 107

3 large eggs

1 medium onion, chopped

1 ½ cups dry bread crumbs

1 tsp. salt

2 lbs. ground beef

2 Tbsp. canola oil

SAUCE

3 ½ cups tomato juice

1 cup packed brown sugar

10 gingersnaps, finely crushed

¼ cup white vinegar

1 tsp. onion salt

Kessler's didn't have boxes of gingersnaps in the Oreo section, so I used five of the big delicious ones from the bakery.


In a large bowl, combine the eggs, onion, bread crumbs and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1 ½-in. balls.

You're gonna get messy. But it's worth it.


In a large skillet, brown the meatballs in batches in oil. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking sheet.

In a large saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. 

Cookiesssss


Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the cookie crumbs are dissolved. Pour over meatballs.

Bake, uncovered, at 350F until meat is no longer pink, 40-45 minutes.

I only ate half of one of these because I was sending them to a Curling Club potluck, but the two bites I had are amazing.

My Rating: 5/5 "It had never occurred to me that so many of the components of barbecue sauce can be found in a gingersnap! I'll admit I probably loved this dish in part because it's so sugary, but it's also rich and savory. The cookies dissolve completely and leave a nice smooth sauce to go along with the meaty goodness. Give it a try!"

Comments