Turkey Reubens

Taste of Home Holiday Irish Food & Fun, p. 32

1 tablespoon butter, softened

4 slices rye bread

2 tablespoons mayonnaise

4 ounces thinly sliced deli turkey

2/3 cup canned sweet-and-sour red cabbage

2 slices (1/2 ounce each) Monterey Jack cheese

Spread butter over one side of each slice of bread; spread mayonnaise over the other side. On the mayonnaise side of two slices, layer the turkey, cabbage, and cheese; top with remaining bread, buttered side up.

I scoured Walmart for the red cabbage stuff, and when I didn't find it I decided to just settle for regular ol' sauerkraut. Which was still delicous.


On a griddle or in a large skillet, toast sandwiches over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

I tried making this again with the butter in the pan instead of on the bread. It wasn't as good!

Sooooo gooey and good.

My Rating: 4/5 "Even with the cabbage substitution this was delightful to eat. Crispy but comforting, it was a great treat for a winter evening. I've made other turkey reubens with more spice to them, but sometimes simple is still awesome."

Comments