Chilaquiles


12-14 tortilla chips
2 cups chunky salsa
½ cup water
½ shredded cooked rotisserie chicken
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup diced tomatoes
¼ cup diced onions

Shredding the chicken is a lot of work but also a little cathartic.

Put the water, salsa, and cooked shredded chicken in a large pan on the stove and simmer on low heat.

I used some leftover Black Bean Salsa to make this, but I'd recommend something with more heat to it.

Add the chips and stir until all the chips are coated with the sauce mixtures, allowing them to soften slightly.

Remove the pan from the heat.

Stir 1 ½ cups of cheddar cheese into the mixture.

Put the mixture in a deep microwaveable dish.

Stir in the tomatoes and onions.

Top with the remaining ½ cup of cheddar cheese.

Because there can never be enough cheese.

Microwave for about 1 minute until golden and bubbly.


Remove from microwave and let cool 10 minutes before adding toppings such as sour cream and/or guacamole. Spoon onto plates or into bowls for serving.  

I decided that cheese was enough of a topping for me!

My Rating: 3/5 "I've certainly never had anything like this before. It's like a giant mush of some of your favorite Mexican flavors, but the mush-ness of it is a little hard to get around. It's quite filling and satisfying in the end, though, so I'd recommend giving it a try just for the novelty. (My husband's review of this is far less flattering than mine. It's not for everybody.)

Comments