Rhubarb Cream Pie

The Valley Shopper 15th Anniversary Collector’s Edition Recipe Book, p. 53

1 cup cream

2 tbsps flour

1 cup sugar

3 egg yolks

1 tsp vanilla

¼ tsp salt

2 cups rhubarb

Unbaked pie shell

MERINGUE

3 egg whites

6-7 tbsps sugar

¼ tsp cream of tartar

Mix first 6 ingredients together and pour over 2 cups rhubarb in an unbaked pie shell. 

We have a lot of rhubarb in our freezer - it was nice to use some of it.


Bake 15 minutes at 400F. Reduce heat to 350F and bake 35-40 minutes. Top with meringue. 

My meringue came out looking like this. I have never successfully made a meringue. If you're good at them, knock yourself out.


Bake 10-15 minutes.

Served with a little blob of Cool Whip to make up for the lack of meringue.

My Rating: 4/5 "That tangy rhubarb-ness works wonderfully with the cream pie sweety-sweetness. If I hadn't ruined the meringue (however I managed to do that) this would have been perfect. Even as-is it was amazing stuff!"

Comments