Rhubarb Cake

Favorite Recipes of the Great Plains, p. 147

2 c. sugar

½ c. shortening

1 egg

2 c. rhubarb, chopped

1 c. sour milk

1 t. soda

2 c. flour

1 t. vanilla

1 t. salt

1 t. cinnamon

Cream 1 ½ cup sugar and shortening. Add remaining ingredients except cinnamon. Mix ½ cup sugar with cinnamon. Sprinkle over batter. 

I think you're supposed to do the sprinkling after you spread the batter in the pan. That made more sense to me, anyway.


Pour into 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. 



May serve warm with cream or ice cream.

Or just gloriously by itself. 

My Rating: 5/5 "I'm not sure if I can adequately describe how great this tastes. That crunch of the cinnamon sugar on top really makes it, honestly. But the rest is amazing by itself - moist cake and tangy rhubarb make a wonderful combination. If you have access to rhubarb, this is a wonderful way to use it!"

Comments