California Rice

Cooking with Diplomacy, p. 60

3 cups cooked rice

1-1/2 cups milk

3 tablespoons flour

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

½ teaspoon salt

1 small grated onion

½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/8 teaspoon paprika

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

24 sliced stuffed olives

Grating an onion was a horrible experience. Not gonna sugarcoat that.

I looked at all the flavors of stuffed olives and decided that garlic-stuffed was the way to go. I'm unsure if other options might have salvaged the flavor of the dish or not.


Make a white sauce with the butter, flour and milk. Add the cheese, onion, spices and olives. 

That's way more cheese sauce than I was expecting.


Put rice in greased casserole. Pour melted cheese sauce over rice. Bake 30 minutes until slightly brown.

Well that's... unappetizing.

My Rating: 2/5 "I choked down a serving of this and threw the rest away. It's not like it was a complete fail, because the recipe turned out as it was intended to. But it honestly tasted like vomit. It kind of looked like vomit, too. No thank you."

Comments

Popular Posts