Grilled Cheese Mac and Cheese Sandwiches

The Truck Food Cookbook, p. 170

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

4 slices white bread or Texas toast

4 slices sharp cheddar cheese

1 cup macaroni and cheese (use your favorite recipe or, God help you, crack open a box)

Heat the oil on a griddle or in a large skillet set over medium-high heat.

Top all the slices of Texas toast with a slice of cheese. Spoon ½ cup macaroni and cheese onto 2 of the slices of bread and top each with one of the remaining two slices, cheese side down. 

I used prepackaged deli mac and cheese from Aldi. In retrospect I should have gotten something more flavorful.


Place the sandwiches on the griddle and let cook until the bread is nicely toasted, 2 minutes. Carefully flip the sandwiches and cook on the second side until the macaroni and cheese is warmed through and the Texas toast is golden, 2 minutes more. Reduce the heat if the toast is browning too quickly. To serve, cut the sandwiches in half on the diagonal.

They would up burned on the outside but still cold on the inside.

My Rating: 3/5 "Aside from the fact that there wasn't a lot of flavor going on in here, the cooking instructions weren't great. Maybe I should have heated up the mac and cheese before I threw it into the bread. But even with that the cheese didn't melt before the bread burned. I stuck it in the microwave after frying to melt and heat everything, and that finally got things to blend together. The problem of blandness still remained. I wonder what could be added to make the flavor more interesting?"

Comments