Porcupine Meatballs

Energy Connections

1 pound hamburger

1 whole egg

1 cup instant rice

½ cup of water

1 8-oz can tomato sauce

Add to taste – salt, pepper, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce or Soy sauce

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine all ingredients.

Form into large balls.

Put into pan to bake. (Use a pan with sides to catch the grease.)

If only they stayed this big and beefy and moist.


Bake for about 30 to 45 minutes or until the tops of the balls look toasted.

Note: Don’t forget the egg or rice will still be crunchy after baking.

I used the egg but my rice was still crunchy.

My Rating: 2/5 "The fun thing about porcupines is that you cook rice in meatballs and when the rice plumps up it pokes out like porcupine spines. This recipe doesn't encourage poking out (I think maybe because it's instant rice) and they end up looking more like haystacks than their namesake. They also came out super crunchy. You can barely taste the beefiness. I would encourage you to try a recipe for porcupines I made a few years ago which fries them and actually works." 

Comments